Team work!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

PHOENIX!

I titled this post "Phoenix!" because it is obviously the first post of our resurrected phoenix blog, which apparently had died, and is now living. Like a phoenix. Mkay.

So there are so many things that happened since I last posted, but that's all boring stuff. Mainly just school--BUT I'M ALMOST DONE WITH MY MASTER'S DEGREE YESSSSS!! I am so glad because I am over it. I mean, seriously. I just want to graduate, have the degree, and then do something other than music. I swear, I had to go to a big conservatory just to discover that the best musicians I've ever played with were at DePauw...no joke! It's so true. So I'm ready to be done done done. I'm just burned out.

I had a really rough winter quarter--I was hardly practicing because I was taking my final theory and history classes and they were reaaally hard. I was taking the ancient-pre Baroque history class (meeeeeh) and SONATA THEORY. Worst effing class EVER. It was basically analyzing sonata form, but with all these fancy terms that some German dudes made up a long time ago. I mean, the book is in English, but you have to translate the English to understand it...it's so complicated. And the way our class was set up was SO stupid...we had 6 huge assignments (they all took me at least 4 hours to complete), the first 4 of which were not worth much. Then the last two were worth collectively like 75% of our grade. WTF? We had 3 quizzes..collectively, those three quizzes were worth ONE PERCENT of our grade. What is the point? I failed all of them (literally, I think my highest score on one of them was 4/10) and I still got a B in the class. I also read a book on my iPhone and hid it behind my score every day of class because it was so dreadfully boring and I hated it. Plus, there was NO effort made to connect any of the theory to performance practice; which is fine for THEORY MAJORS, but our class was almost all performance majors. Ugh. But the course evaluation was totally worth it all....:) I wasn't very nice.

Let's see, what else. Oh yeah I GOT MARRIED. I can't remember if I blogged after we got married or not. But anyway being married is cool, I like it. It's nice to have a husband that you can make do stuff, like wash the dishes or stuff. He's great though. He's going to be working at Blue Lake with me again this summer (probably our last summer ever!!! ahhhh!!) and then he is going to try to start being a full-time TRUCK DRIVER!! omg it's crazy. but they make good money and get good benefits so that's exciting. he's excited about it.

We have TWO dogs now, Clara and Sadie. They are both super cute but fight (well, more like play-fight) ALL the damn time. i mean seriously they are out of control! and sadie likes to bark a lot when they are fighting. but they're both still only around 1 year old, so they will calm down eventually. Sadie is SO cute--she just came and climbed up on me cause I wasn't paying enough attention to her. She is a really cuddly dog, she likes to come up and lay down on you. I've never had a cuddly dog--as Patrick says, it's like she's a stuffed anmial that just gets up and walks over to you and cuddles with you. It's so cute, I love her! I love Clara too of course cause she was my first baby and I raised her by myself, but she's not cuddly like that. She's just super hyper and crazy.

Ummmmmm what else. right now i'm on spring break chilling out at my house in terre haute. i have been MAJORLY busy this spring break because i have been moving all of my crap out of my current house INTO MY PARENT'S NEW HOUSE! yes, that's right, they're moving again. but this time, they're moving to a FARM! omg!! it's not really a farm actually, it's more like 8 acres of land with a lot of woods. my mom has been hating her job consistently for about 3-5 years now, and she grew up on a farm so she has really been wanting to get back to the country. plus my parents are super interested in home farming, self-sustained living, etc. i mean we already have 4 chickens in our backyard...so this is just really a natural step for them i think. the house is quaint--it's a 4 bedroom farm house that isn't as nice as our house now, but i still think it's perfect for what they want. my mom ordered 30 more chickens (they will be babies when she gets them!!!) and she'll be selling fresh eggs! Yummy. She is also going to get a couple of DAIRY GOATS!!! AHHHHH!!! i'm so excited for those goats--goats are so cute! and they already inherited a little barn cat named Andy who is super cute and lets me pet him. The yard is all fenced in and is HUUUUUUUUGE and our dogs love it! We've been taking them out there almost every night this break to just run around and stuff. My mom is also planning on having bees for honey and my dad wants to get a Great Pyrenees puppy (!!!!!!) and raise it with the goats so the dog will protect them from coyotes and stuff. I'm really excited about this place. I LOVE the country and animals and stuff so I'm happy to help out around the farm when i'm home. Plus, it'll be a great place to take our hypothetical kids someday. My dad got a john deere tractor, which he has basically dreamt of for his WHOLE life. He showed me the tractor last night and he was like a 7 year old, all happy and stuff. It was funny. I think it's exciting, and I really like it.

But i hate moving all my crap. I'm getting rid of most of it, cause it's like really old clothes and stuff, but it's a lot of work. I haven't gotten any practicing done this break because I've been helping them move! Ahhh ! Whatever, i'm not complaining. I have one more recital and then I'll be DONE. I'm only taking one academic class next quarter and it's a Latin american ethnomusicology course which i am SO excited about ---Tiffy and Amanda, I guarantee it will be better than that crap we took at DPU....

I'm hoping to get a job in the fall in the college admissions field. A position at DePauw would be great, but we'll see what shakes out. It'd be great to have a job though, that's for sure...

I think that's all really for me. I might delete my facebook just because I want to, so this blog'll be super important for me to see what's going on with you guys. Can't wait to hear about all of you, I miss you all sooooo so much! <3

3 comments:

  1. we should call it the PHOENIX blog! I'm going to change it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WANT YOUR PAReNtS LIFe

    chickens. GIANT DOG. eggs. HONEY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you end up at DPU and I end up at IU we'll be close! Do you think you'll give up music altogether, or just do a little on the side? I've basically given up playing the past two years but I'm itching to get a group together to play for fun (I miss our quartet!!)

    ReplyDelete